Monday, December 9, 2013

The Book Thief Book/Movie Review

Rating: 5

(Part 2 will be covered in the comments section, and I will be adding info and pictures periodically.  The holidays are no match for me!)

Roughly in the middle of this novel, I find this book very well written.  I was captivated by the first few pages and quickly guessed that it was Death who was narrating.  This, in my opinion, was Zusak's very unique and brilliant way to grab his audience.  Death did not come across as evil, dark, or gloomy, but a personage who is merely there to help carry the souls away when their time on earth is done.  It observes people and events by colors.  As we know, color has a great impact on all of us from how we paint the walls of our home to the use of colors in film to enhance emotions. I will discuss more about Death later on.



I was attracted to this book for two reasons: historical background and high recommendations from others.  One of our top rated books is The Bronze Horseman, and it's use of history made the story more powerful and real.  I think this stands true for The Book Thief.

The story unfolds in Germany in 1939 and primarily sets in Molching (a fictional town outside of Munich).  Hitler is in power and The Hitler Youth Program is underway.  Book burnings are very common and Jews were in hiding or trying to hide from the Nazis.  Hitler's book, Mein Kampf, is also required reading among the people.

Hitler and the HItler Youth Program
Hitler Youth facts:

* Was founded in the 1920s
* By the end of 1933, the membership was just over 2 million
* In 1936, the program was compulsory for boys and girls over the age of 10
* Membership was at 8 million by 1940
* Indoctrinated with Nazi idealism and Aryan Morals

German mass book burning

Hitler's manifesto to his political ideology and future plans for Germany.
This plays an important role throughout the novel.

This book gives us great insight to the other side of Naziism: those that wanted to protect their Jewish friends, unwillingly fly the Nazi flag, and find the Hitler Youth program ridiculous and boring.  We also see how Death cannot comprehend how humans can commit such horrible acts of cruelty and acts of such tenderness and compassion.  He is haunted by the survivors, not those that die. Lastly, we see how war impacts people in different ways with different consequences.

Part 2 will be posted Monday, December 16th.


11 comments:

  1. I finished this book. I LOVED IT! Hopefully I will see the film this weekend. Will come back later with a review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OB,

    I am so glad you enjoyed it! I did too. I definite addition to my growing library.

    I'm going to start the discussion with Death. What did you think of Death narrating the story? Did you have any favorite passages?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say having Death as the narrator was unique and it did not bother me. I don't know what this says about me. Hahaha! But I found the Death character a bit soothing and comforting.

      My favorite passage? I liked Death's description of Rudy. I'm not sure of the page number but the quote goes something like, 'The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you.'

      Delete
    2. I love Rudy! And I agree with you on Death being soothing. I think seeing how painful it is for him to watch the living hurt and be hurt makes him more human.

      Delete
    3. I know exactly what u mean. Death was very likable with a great sense of humor too. There were quite a few funny bits especially when he describes the favorite choice words by Rosa Huberman. PIG being my favorite.

      Delete
  3. I have a handful of Death "insights" that are favorites. The first one is found on page. 6:

    "please be calm, despite that previous threat. I am all bluster--I am not violent. I am not malicious. I am a result."

    Death really is a result. Now perhaps getting there can be violent and painful, but the actual death part is a result. We are all going to experience it. I know death is a very scary thought for many. I actually don't fear the death part. It's the "did I do everything I was supposed to do before I leave this earth" part that gets me nervous. I don't want any loose ends left behind.

    I also like how death describes that actual work he does. He carries the souls which just sounds so much more comforting and tender than just being their to TAKE someone's soul.

    In the chapter: Death's Diary:1942, Death gives a very grim, but honest look at what was happening in Germany. Zusak also writes, what I consider a very beautiful moment between Death and the souls he carries.

    "The desperate Jews--their spiits in my lap as we sat on the roof, next to the steaming chimneys."

    I find this so tender because when have we been carried or sat in someone's lap. It is usually by someone who loves us dearly (mom and dad) and they do thus in order to comfort us.

    Another, found on pg. 145 reads:

    "Oh, yes, I definitely remember him. The sky was murky and deep like quicksand. There was a young man parceled up in barbed wire, like a giant crown of thornes. I untangled him and carried him out. High above the eart, we sank together, to our knees. It was just another day, 1918."

    Death is speaking about the Mayor's son, Johann Hermann. This is a very vivid scene in my mind. Again, to untangle, carry, and sink together are very compassionate verbs. Death truly is kind towards those who lose their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice read LB! There are so many heart wrenching scenes in the book but one of the most heart felt scenes when the Mayor's wife fire's her mother. I really felt sympathy for both characters.

      Another one of my favorite quotes from Death. “I'm always finding humans at their best and worst. I see their ugly and their beauty, and I wonder how the same thing can be both. ..."

      Delete
  4. This is sorta off topic but I have to bring this up. Hahaha!

    I recently watched a biography on Jesse Owens (I think put out by PBS) because the character Rudy in the novel (who I love) was inspired by Owens.

    A side bar: Owens who paved the way for many AA on how to handle race relations won the Olympics and came back to America was discriminated against and achievements marginalized. I greatly appreciated Zusak's chose to celebrate and acknowledge Jesse Owens accomplishments through this young boy and illustrate what an impact Owens had on all races, it really defines what a strong, thoughtful and independent spirit Rudy was during a time when German Aryan young boys were being brainwashed to become White Supremacist.

    Did u know during the Olympic games there were two Jews scheduled to compete in a race representing America and Hitler (after seeing Jesse Owens win all four competitions against Germany) had America switch the Jewish athletes out for Owens? Can u believe that? I mean come on after Jesse Owens won four times against German athletes u would think this should have proven Hitler's White Supremacy theory was bogus. Why didn't people rise up against Hitler then?

    BTW: Here is the link to the documentary on Jesse Owens
    http://video.pbs.org/video/2229413590/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this info! I will check out this link. I too have much I want to add to your comment. Jesse Owens was a great pick!

      Delete