Monday, April 7, 2014

Somewhere in Time Book/Movie Review

Rating...2

After two colds, two birthdays, a root canal, and a tooth pulled, I'm finally back.  Thank you for patience.  Now on with the review!



Oh. My. Gosh.  I commend the late Richard Matheson for writing books that turned into pretty great films, but holy cow, did this book age me.  I skimmed a lot of boring details and just thought it was all so silly.  The time travel was more realistic than the love story.  I thought the character development was severely lacking and just could NOT get into the book.

Richard actually starts out in Los Angeles and is a screen writer.  Elise's mother actually is very involved.  To be honest, I've let too much time go by since reading the story to give any good differences and similarities.  If you want to read it, go ahead.  It's not that bad, and if you are a Matheson fan, then you will probably really enjoy it.

As for the film, it's still cheesy, but for whatever reason (in my little brain), the story didn't seem half as bad.  It did not do we at the box office.  But you do have the amazing Christopher Reeve and lovely Jane Seymour to give it some life.  Reeve was a great actor and his personal quirks gave more emotion and development than the Richard on paper.

yeah, I would be caught staring too.  Jane is gorgeous!



Nooooooo!!!!! Don't look at it!!!!


Here are some interesting tidbits about the film:

Christopher Reeve asked not to see the painting of Jane's Elise until it was time to film the scene.  The expression he delivers is genuine.  

The story is based on Matheson's dream to meet actress Maude Adams.


The book won the World Fantasy Award for Best Novel in 1976.

The book takes place at the Hotel Coronado, but they filmed at the Mackinac Island's Grand Hotel.  Also vehicles are not permitted on the island.  The cars used in the film had to get special permission and could only be used during filming.  


6 comments:

  1. Hi Lb,

    Great photos and trivia. Did u manage to finish the book without a new platinum hairdo? ITA this book aged me 10 years too. Hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!!!!

      What did you think of the film? What were your problems with the book?

      Delete
    2. I saw the film when I was a teen and my taste is different than it is today. However, I did pick up the video and will come back and let u know what I think. My problems with the book was the pacing it was just too FREAKING slow. Plus a lot hanging chads. Meaning long detailed diatribes without a relevant point at the end. I read a few of those and said no more, I'm done! I'm the wrong person to ask.

      Delete
    3. Yes, that is exactly what it was. So drawn out and then it didn't go anywhere. I'm all for love at first sight, but I just couldn't connect with these two.

      However, I do think the concept is a great one with a lot of potential. The idea of time traveling, let alone meeting someone in the past is pretty dang cool. Which leads me to a follow up question which I will post separately.

      Delete
  2. Do you think time travel is possible? If you could travel in time, where would you go? Is there anyone in particular you would want to meet, or a time you would want to relive? When, where, and why? And would you still do it if you knew it would alter history or your own personal history?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What loaded questions for the weekend. Hahaha! Hmm.....Gosh. Let's see I would like to see my mom again but I'm pretty content to leave things as is. Today, I would be afraid I'd cause an earthquake and everyone would fall into a volcanic lava hole if I went back to alter my history. Truth be told there's nothing wrong with God's plan it's my plan that get's in the way. Hahaha! How about u?

      Delete